Go on to   Part Five


Return home to   Gentle Giant Tour History

Gentle Giant Tour History

*** Part Four ***

*** Back to North America ***


(late 1974 - mid 1975)


new information will be in RED


            Finally, after a series of aborted tour plans and over sixteen months away from North America, Giant returned there in the fall of 1974.  Prior to their arrival, they had cobbled together a number of gigs into a piecemeal tour, but these long-awaited concerts went over quite well.  Additionally, they found that album sales in the United States were, by this time, fairly brisk and improving all the time.  Because of these factors, they decided to add more gigs as they went along, sometimes as a support act and sometimes as a headliner.  Giant's management had very little to do with the organization of this impromptu tour, the band doing most of the planning themselves.  For that reason, it is still difficult to pin down exactly where the band was each and every night, with more information definitely being needed.  Since this North American tour ended up being extended quite a bit longer than expected, touring plans for later in the year had to be rethought.  They had planned a UK tour, supported by the band Snafu, beginning at the Plymouth Guildhall on October 31, followed by a swing through Europe, but the UK tour was postponed until December, while the European schedule was shortened considerably.




The Runaway/Experience - During the “breaking glass” intro tape, a huge glittery sign spelling out “GIANT” was lowered down above the stage.

Funny Ways

Excerpts from Octopus

Nothing at All - The glockenspiels remained, but Shortnin' Bread was no longer played.

Plain Truth

In a Glass House


            Their setlist remained relatively unchanged, except that Prologue was again dropped, this time for good.  Songs from their new album, THE POWER AND THE GLORY, strangely only rarely appeared in their live shows at this time.  Even though the album had just been released, it was the band's feeling that they would be better off promoting the earlier albums.  Capitol Records, their American label, was not at all happy about this decision.



Oct. 8            Denver, Colorado                         Denver Coliseum                      On this first date of the US tour, GG opened for Traffic.  Some online sources list a date of Oct. 7 for this gig, but that is incorrect.  Giant went over quite well and the Denver College newspaper The Catalyst gave a glowing review of their hour long opening set, despite pointing out the noisy crowd and a somewhat mushy sound system.  For their part, the band was encouraged by the good reception they received.  In late September, GG was advertised as planning to also play a Denver club called Ebbets Field in October, but there’s no indication this went ahead.  The group did, however, play Ebbets Field in February 1975.






Denver - first gig back in North America    Oct. 8, 1974



Oct. 9            Los Angeles, California                Whisky A-Go-Go                      This was only the second date of the tour, but it was the first of five straight sellout nights at this popular 500 seat Los Angeles nightclub. The band was rapturously received.  This is particularly ironic, considering they did not even want to play at this club at all, finally being talked into it by their manager.  This run of shows at the Whisky is legendary among Gentle Giant fans and is viewed as a turning point in their success in America.  People started to line up for tickets hours ahead of time and each night, the club had to turn away hundreds of disappointed fans.  In fact, on this first night, police squads had to help dispel the crowds outside the club.  The band themselves were quite stunned by the reception, but their success at this club ended up getting them more headlining engagements over the next couple months.  A couple reports have surfaced indicating the band was filmed during at least one of these Whisky shows, not to be confused with the ABC filming described below.  It may have been for a local television report, although that is pure conjecture.  Ex-Canned Heat guitarist Harvey Mandel was the opening act on this night, as he was at all these Whisky shows.  He led a rather heavy sounding four piece group which included a violin.  A tape of this first GG gig exists.





Los Angeles - five nights in a row at the Whisky    Oct. 1974



Oct. 10          While in the Los Angeles area for their run of shows at the Whisky, the group was filmed live for the ABC Wide World In Concert TV program.  Filming took place at the Aquarius Theater in nearby West Hollywood, California, not at the Long Beach Auditorium, as often stated.  The band’s entire short set consisted of Experience, Excerpts from Octopus and Funny Ways.  There were tuning problems at the beginning of Funny Ways, causing the group to stop and start over.  The whole performance was filmed, though only Excerpts from Octopus actually appeared on TV when it was broadcast on Jan. 3, 1975.  The entire three-song set has now been officially released as part of the GIANT ON THE BOX DVD, although the DVD liner notes mistakenly list the set as being filmed at the Terrace Theater in nearby Long Beach in early 1975.  The Terrace Theater did not open for business until 1978 and was actually a rebuilt, remodeled venue built on the same site as the Long Beach Auditorium which had closed down sometime in 1975.


Oct. 10          Los Angeles, California                Whisky A-Go-Go                      Harvey Mandel opened.

Oct. 11          Los Angeles, California                Whisky A-Go-Go                      Harvey Mandel opened.

Oct. 12          Los Angeles, California                Whisky A-Go-Go                      They played two shows on this date. Harvey Mandel opened both.

Oct. 13          Los Angeles, California                Whisky A-Go-Go                      They again played two shows.  Harvey Mandel opened both.  At one or both of the shows on this night, the band played two songs from the new album, probably Cogs In Cogs and Proclamation.  They had been practicing these two songs in soundchecks, but this is believed to be the only time the songs were actually performed in front of an audience prior to the European tour in late November.  After the band’s extremely successful run of shows at the Whisky, their US record label responded by ordering that 30,000 more copies of their current POWER AND THE GLORY album be pressed.  Some online sources state that Giant was originally scheduled to open for the Mahavishnu Orchestra on this night at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, but canceled due to illness.  This may or may not have been the plan at first, but Giant definitely ended up playing the Whisky and they definitely were not ill.

???                Santa Monica, California              Civic Auditorium                       Gary remembered a 1974 gig here as being one of the band's best west coast gigs ever.  However, he may have been thinking of the Santa Monica show from Feb. 1975.



            At this time, the band took a brief vacation in San Francisco, California before heading East to continue their U.S. tour.



Oct. 17          Milwaukee, Wisconsin                  Riverside Theater                     Giant and Aerosmith both opened for Golden Earring in a packed house of about 2400 people.  The Milwaukee Sentinel had kind words for GG and Golden Earring but totally dismissed Aerosmith, saying they were “loud and little else”.

Oct. 18          Cleveland, Ohio                           Allen Theater                            again opened for Golden Earring.  During the afternoon before the concert, the band did an in-store promotional appearance at a nearby record store called Record Revolution.  Unfortunately, it seems the turnout to meet the band was minimal, perhaps because it was a Friday and many were at school or work.  An employee at the store also points out that promotion for the appearance was minimal.  As was tradition at the store, GG signed their name to a wall of visiting bands.  This same employee recalls the handwriting being sloppy, resulting in some jokingly referring to the group thereafter as “General Grant”.  The Cleveland Plain Dealer had been advertising an earlier GG Cleveland gig at the Agora set for Oct. 7, but that was eventually scrapped.  The group did show up at the Agora on Jan 17, 1975, however.



Cleveland    Oct. 18, 1974



Oct. 19          Marietta, Ohio                              Marietta College                       Giant opened for Quicksilver in the college gymnasium.  A tape is rumored to exist of Giant’s set, which was part of the college’s 1974 Homecoming activities.  The band also got a few color photographs in the college’s yearbook.




Marietta - college yearbook page    Oct. 19, 1974



Oct. 19          Gentle Giant appeared on the Swiss music television program Kaleidos-Pop.  It’s not known what their appearance entailed but they shared the program with Alain Berceville, Bert Jansch and the Swiss band TEA.


Oct. 20          Youngstown, Ohio                        Tomorrow Club                         played two shows, opening for Focus.  The first, at 2:00 P.M. was open to all ages, while the late show at 9:00 P.M. was only for those over 18.  Giant had opened for Focus at this same venue on Mar. 12, 1973, when it was probably known as the State Theater.



Youngstown ad    Oct. 20, 1974



Oct. 21          Columbus, Ohio                           Agora                                       opened for Focus.  Ticket sales were not very good for this show, resulting in the promoter lowering the prices. 



Columbus ad    Oct. 21, 1974



Oct. 22          Chicago, Illinois                           Auditorium Theater                   This venue was a converted opera house and boasted superior acoustics.  GG opened for J. Geils and it’s been said that a large percentage of the audience left before the headliners played.

Oct. 23         Parsippany, New Jersey               A Joint In The Woods                This club was located, literally, way out in the woods, away from everything, a fact which may have contributed to the rather small size of the crowd.  The audience stood on an empty dance floor, with no tables or chairs, making for a very intimate concert experience.  The group is known to have, once again, played Cogs in Cogs and Proclamation in their soundcheck, though not during the actual concert.  Supposedly, the opening act, a band called Joe’s Bar and Grill, was somewhat frustrated by the hard time given them by the impatient audience.  The frugality of the travel budget Giant allowed themselves on this tour is evidenced by the fact that they showed up at the club on this night, not in a limousine, but in a rented station wagon.  A tape of this gig exists.



Parsippany ad    Oct. 23, 1974



Oct. 24          Northampton, Pennsylvania          Roxy Theatre                            This gig may have been planned at one point, but it probably was scrapped.  Some early promotional material from Capitol Records listed an Oct. 24 date at this very small theater, but other material did not.  Then, in its Oct. 19 issue, a nearby college newspaper instead advertised Melissa Manchester as playing at the Roxy on Oct. 24.  Giant did finally make it to Northampton on August 25, 1975.

Oct. 25          Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania              Carnegie-Mellon University - CMU Gym                                          The band opened for Chick Corea’s Return to Forever.  The concert was part of the school’s Homecoming celebration and was held in a gymnasium with everyone sitting on a large mat on the floor.

Oct. 26          Lawrenceville, New Jersey           Rider College - Alumni Gymnasium       Originally, GG was scheduled, along with Dr. John, to open for J. Geils at the Spectrum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on this date.  However, that gig was canceled one week before showtime.  This freed up Giant who were now able to play this college gig outside of Trenton, where they opened for Dave Mason.  Reportedly, Mason’s ticket sales had been slow but picked up considerably when GG was added to the bill.  GG was indeed well received but Mason was not so easily impressed.  According to a local student newspaper, GG went fifteen minutes over their allotted one hour time slot, so Mason angrily had the lights turned up in an attempt to shut them down.  In turn, this angered members of Giant who were quoted as uttering the phrases “professional jealousy” and “childsplay”.




Ads for canceled Philadelphia show and added Lawrenceville show    Oct. 26, 1974



Oct. 28          Detroit, Michigan                         Ford Auditorium                        GG, along with John Martyn, opened for John Sebastian.  Oddly, GG played in Detroit again just one week later on Nov. 4.

Oct. 29          Harrisburg, Pennsylvania             Farm Show Arena                     opened for Frank Zappa.  Long ago, Gary Green revealed Giant had opened for Zappa on one occasion.  However, he couldn’t remember the date or even the year.  Since that time, there has been much speculation on when it must have occurred, with opinions ranging from 1974 to 1980.  Finally, it has been confirmed by two attendees at the show and an uncovered backstage pass that it took place in Harrisburg on this date.  Some in attendance expected John McLaughlin to also be on the bill.  This was just a rumor that circulated at the time and McLaughlin was definitely not there, although he could have, at one time, been scheduled to appear.  It was a pretty full house with somewhere in the neighborhood of 8,000 people present.  Giant was well received by the Zappa fans, as might be expected.  The Farm Show Arena, as can be surmised by its name, was not much more than a big barn, with dirt floors and terrible acoustics.  At one point, the sound man was asked why he was using so much echo, to which he replied that he was using none at all.  This was an added date, not on the original schedule, and was presented by Electric Factory Concerts, one of the biggest concert promotion firms on the east coast.  John, who was a big Zappa fan and had been looking forward to this show, described the Arena as a “rodeo hall” and was so upset by the poor acoustics that he refused to listen to Zappa’s set.



Harrisburg backstage pass - opened for Frank Zappa    Oct. 29, 1974



Oct. 31          Springfield, Massachusetts          Julia Sanderson Theatre           This venue was originally a vaudeville theater known as the Paramount Theater but converted to a 2600 seat concert hall in 1973, changing its name at the same time in tribute to a well-known actress from Springfield.  It’s now a dance club known as the Hippodrome.  GG was preceded by John Martyn, both opening for headliners Focus.  Being Halloween night, the crowd was rather festive, with a number of spectators in costume.  Giant decided this would be a good night for a bit of holiday theatrics, as well.  When the pre-recorded bit after The Runaway began, Kerry disappeared underneath the stage, seating himself at the theater’s built in Wurlitzer organ.  He was for a time totally in the dark, struggling to find his place on the instrument, until he finally rose out of the pit, lit by spotlight, at which time he launched into the keyboard intro to Experience.   The band played their parts somewhat quietly so as not to drown out the Wurlitzer.  When they reached a section of the song requiring just bass and drums, they added a few extra measures to give Kerry enough time to return to his spot on stage so he could continue the show, now out of breath.  Throughout it all, to complete the effect, he was wearing a cape.  It did take some cajoling to get Kerry to agree to this stunt, but the audience responded with deafening applause as he rejoined the rest of the band on stage.  Ever the gentlemen, they had asked Focus ahead of time if they would mind this possibly upstaging activity.  Graciously, Focus agreed.  During the Knots portion of Excerpts from Octopus, the band got a little off on their timing.  A gentle wave of sympathetic laughter rippled through the crowd and they recovered quickly.  During Ray's violin solo, a screaming match developed between Ray and an audience member.  However, according to the Connecticut Daily Campus, the crowd was generally quite well-behaved and thoroughly enjoyed the show.  This newspaper also made note of the fine acoustics in the theatre.

Nov. 1           New York, New York                    Academy Of Music                   A tape of this midnight concert exists.  John Martyn played first then Giant and headliners Focus, although GG and Focus both played full length sets, Giant’s clocking in at around 70 minutes.  This is the first confirmed time GG played at this popular New York venue, but they returned there many times in later years.  At this show, the transition tape between The Runaway and Experience played a half step sharp, for some reason.  Once again, a member of the audience recalls a fan near the front screaming at Ray during his violin solo.  Ray then put his instrument down and engaged in a back and forth screaming match with the fan before resuming his solo.  This was actually a common occurrence during the violin solos through the years, though it is unclear how much of it was spontaneous and how much was provoked by Ray himself.  After the show, as further evidence of their shoestring budget at the time, no limousine was present and the band was spotted simply walking away from the Academy, belongings in hand.  A number of reviews of this gig appeared in various publications, most being positive, although Billboard cited the band’s music as being “too repetitious”.  A local newspaper review called the show a “giant triumph” and even indicated the band had to play three encores to please the New York audience, while another newspaper stated the band received a standing ovation after each song..  These do seem like exaggerations and the existing tape does not bear out these claims.  One online source lists that this show took place on November 3 but that is wrong, one other source placing Focus in Edison, New Jersey on that evening.



New York - photo from Academy of Music review    Nov. 1, 1974



Nov. 2           Boston, Massachusetts                Orpheum Theater                      Giant played first on a triple bill here, preceding Golden Earring and headliners Black Oak Arkansas. 

Nov. 4           Detroit, Michigan                         Cobo Hall                                 It looks like this show may have been a late add, not appearing on Giant’s original schedule.  Like the Detroit appearance from one week earlier on Oct. 28, three bands were again on this bill, Giant playing first, Mountain in the middle, and the J. Geils Band headlining.  J. Geils was extremely popular in Detroit and always played to rapturous fans.  However, in comments made the following day, both Kerry and Gary expressed disappointment over their own band’s lukewarm acceptance by the audience, Kerry going so far as to state that Giant never enjoyed playing in Detroit.  Gary still owns his backstage pass from this gig.  A tape of the show also exists, documenting an unusually short opening set.

Nov. 5           Akron, Ohio                                 Civic Theater                            This date was canceled.  According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Foghat was having “tour troubles”.  Online Foghat sources indicate that band was out of commission for the entire beginning of November, although it is certain that they did share the bill with Giant in Flint on Nov. 6, as listed below.  Confusingly, other sources have GG opening for Focus at the Palace Theater in Waterbury, Connecticut and receiving a nice reception, though this is obviously wrong.  It’s known from a private telephone interview two teenage fans conducted with Kerry and Gary that Giant ended up with this day off.




Akron - canceled show    Nov. 5, 1974



Nov. 6           Flint, Michigan                             I.M.A. Auditorium                      opened for Foghat,  In comments made the day before with a young fan, Kerry expressed concerns that this pairing would not be ideal and he was proved right.  Giant was heavily booed at this gig by the relatively small number of people who even bothered to watch them.  When first addressing the crowd, Derek asked that they stop throwing things at the stage. In response to the poor audience behavior, Ray is said to have made "rude" sounds with his violin, directed towards the audience.  A tape of the show exists as does a bit of the soundcheck.  During this soundcheck, the band can be heard in a bluesy jam, as well as running through an instrumental version of Cogs In Cogs.



Flint ad    Nov. 6, 1974



Nov. 7           Center Valley, Pennsylvania         Allentown College of St. Francis de Sales - Billera Hall                                    The Allentown College venue is correct, even though a conflicting report has this gig taking place at nearby Lehigh County Community College in Schnecksville, Pennsylvania.  This college gig was arranged at relatively short notice and was supposed to be a triple bill with GG and the Strawbs opening for Robin Trower.  However, the Strawbs canceled.  One fan recalls about 250 in attendance, while another places the number higher.  The attendees simply sat on the floor in front of the stage in what’s believed to have been a converted dining hall and, although Trower was the headliner, Giant was very well received.  In fact, after their set, the lights came on but the crowd continued to chant “Giant!  Giant!  Giant!”, sadly to no avail.  There is also a possibility that Giant played another show in the Allentown area at some unspecified date with Al Stewart and possibly comedian Robert Klein in support.  Even the year of this alleged concert is speculative at best, but it’s said to have been an acoustically excellent theater date.  



Center Valley ad    Nov. 7, 1974



Nov. 8           Plattsburgh, New York                 State University of New York at Plattsburgh                                          Original plans were for Giant to perform in Teaneck, New Jersey on this evening, but they played this college near the Canadian border instead, opening for the Climax Blues Band.  In fact, several photos of the band appear in the college’s yearbook, where they are mislabeled as “Gentile Giant”.  John’s drum solo was particularly well received by the Plattsburgh crowd and one fan alleges they played Working All Day, dedicating it to the road manager.  One unofficial report puts about 200 people in the audience.





Plattsburgh - college yearbook pages and ad    Nov. 8, 1974



Nov. 9           New Haven, Connecticut              Yale University - Woolsey Hall              The band opened for Poco on this night.  Giant was booed for the first ten minutes of their set, but the crowd ended up giving them a standing ovation by the end.  Then, after the show, the members of Giant were interviewed on the Yale University radio station.  Poco recorded their set and one song from this night may have ended up on their 1976 Live album.



New Haven ad    Nov. 9, 1974



Nov. 10         Baltimore, Maryland                     Johns Hopkins University - Newton White Athletic Center                                GG opened for Robin Trower and was well received.  Dave Mason may have been at one time scheduled as the headliner, but he did not appear, Trower playing instead.

???                Buffalo, New York                        New Century Theatre                An unconfirmed report has Nektar opening for Giant here in 1974.

???                Upper Darby, Pennsylvania          Tower Theater                          There are a couple reports that Giant opened here for Focus, although one Focus source gives a date of November 9, 1973.  That is most certainly incorrect.

???                North Branch, New Jersey           Somerset County Community College                                              There are two fan reports of Giant playing in the gymnasium at this college.  One has GG opening for Robin Trower.  The other has GG opening for Caravan.  Late 1974 and late 1975 have both been presented as possible time periods, but Trower and Caravan tour date sources both make late 1974 far more likely.  At least some agreement can be found between the two reports, as both fans complained about less than ideal acoustics.

Nov. 15         Knoxville, Tennessee                   Knoxville Civic Coliseum           This was a festival seating gig at which Giant opened for John Sebastian and headliner Dave Mason.

Nov. 17         Memphis, Tennessee                   Ellis Auditorium North Hall         Although all of the concerts Giant played on this tour have not yet been uncovered, this show was mentioned in the press as being the final date of the extended North American tour.  One fan in attendance remembers that GG opened the show but does not remember the headliner.



There have been reports from fans that Giant played some more Canadian gigs in late 1974, but these reports are unreliable.  More than likely, these fans were actually thinking of the shows held in Jan. 1975.  Upon returning to Europe, the group finally began regularly including songs from THE POWER AND THE GLORY in their live stage show.  However, they ended up spending relatively little time in Europe, because of the unexpected extension of their tour in America.  Six shows were, at one time, slated for Switzerland, but it appears that less actually took place.  One newspaper account corroborated that they had other European dates scheduled, but canceled some of them.  It also implied the group may have even returned to America for a short spell after their time in Europe, though this seems unlikely.



TYPICAL SETLIST  (late 1974)


Intro/Cogs in Cogs - A brief instrumental snippet of the song Giant was used as an intro to this set-opener.                        

Proclamation/Funny Ways

The Runaway/Experience

Excerpts from Octopus - The recorder quartet included a brief bit of Raconteur, Troubadour instead of Yankee Doodle for only this minor European tour.

Nothing at All

Plain Truth

Mister Class and Quality?/Peel the Paint - a slightly different arrangement than was used at some early 1973 gigs.  Gary's guitar solo now found a home in Peel the Paint.  The "breaking glass" tape loop was now faded out at the end of this, as an outro.


            Most notable at this time is the band's increased fascination with combining songs or portions of songs into mini-medleys.  This would continue into future tours.



Nov. 21         Basel, Switzerland                       Stadtcasino                              A tape of this concert exists.  It’s been said that on this night, John was seen walking across the stage with bells attached to his ankle.



Basel ticket    Nov. 21, 1974



Nov. 22         St. Gallen, Switzerland                 Kongresshaus Schützengarten              A tape of this concert also exists.

Nov. 23         Ascona, Switzerland                     Palestra Scolastica                   Ascona is a beautiful small Swiss town on Lake Maggiore, Palestra Scolastica referring to the sports hall or gymnasium of the local school.  This concert was organized by Suzy Strauss of the one woman Ascona concert agency known as SU 71.  It was thought that the Italian band Arti e Mestieri served as the opening act, but none of the press related to this gig mentions anyone else on the bill, nor do any of several fans in attendance recall an opener.



Ascona - notice about upcoming show    Nov. 23, 1974



Nov. 25         Bologna, Italy                              Palazzo dello Sport                   opening act was Arti e Mestieri


Nov. 26         A short film clip of the band appeared on British television on BBC 2’s Old Grey Whistle Test program, alongside the episode’s other attractions, the Pretty Things and Jackie Lynton’s Grande, and Can.  Giant’s contribution to the show was the second half of Excerpts from Octopus shot at London's Drury Lane on March 16.  The clip has now been released officially in video and audio form on the GG AT THE GG DVD.


Nov. 26         Rome, Italy                                  Palazzo dello Sport                   opening act was Arti e Mestieri.  The venue for this show is often listed as Palaeur which was a commonly used nickname for the same location.   It was a large circular hall built on a hill.  GG almost didn't make it to the show when the security guards didn't recognize them and wouldn't let them in the building.  About 20,000 fans were in attendance.  In 2000, a soundboard recording of this show became the first in the series of official Glass House releases, appearing on a CD entitled LIVE IN ROME.  An audience recording of the same show is rumored to exist, possibly containing some material not on the soundboard recording.



Rome ticket    Nov. 26, 1974



Nov. 27         Udine, Italy                                  Palazzo dello Sport                   opening act was Arti e Mestieri

Nov. 28         Torino, Italy                                 Palazzo dello Sport                   opening act was Arti e Mestieri.  Upon first welcoming the audience, Derek mentions the city’s famous football club, Juventus, and elicits applause from many in the crowd.  Unfortunately, the city’s other football club, the Torino club, was not mentioned, thereby upsetting others in the crowd.  It seems fans of the two teams have a very rocky relationship.  A tape exists of this concert.

Nov. 29         Genova, Italy                               Teatro Genova                          canceled at the last minute, with some sort of transportation problem as the reason given.  The opening act was supposed to be Arti e Mestieri.

???                Modena, Italy                               Teatro Storchi                           This is an unconfirmed gig for which no written documentation has been found.  However, a fan recalls it, only remembering it as having been sometime between 1972 and 1974.  He also recalls a keyboard intro at the start of the show which could correlate with this time period.  Additionally, this fan states the audience responded better to the older tunes than to the newer ones.

???                Stockholm, Sweden                                                                    There is a possibility that the band played a Stockholm date around this time, as one fan seems to recall it.  However, it remains unconfirmed.



            As stated above, the band rescheduled their tour of Great Britain for the month of December 1974, with Joe Brown's Home Brew planned as the opening act.  They even intended to record some of the dates for a possible future live album release.  However, this second tour of the UK ultimately had to be canceled, as well.  There are differing reports as to why.  The primary reason given to the press was that Derek developed a severe stomach ulcer.  Although possibly true, it seems there may have been more to the story.  John and Kerry have both claimed that management problems also played a part, logical when considering that they had just severed ties with WWA, their poorly run UK record label.  Listed below is the originally planned tour itinerary.




Second cancellation of UK tour    Dec. 1974



Dec. 5           Sheffield, England                        City Hall                                   canceled

Dec. 6           Leeds, England                            Town Hall                                 canceled

Dec. 7           Norwich, England                         University of East Anglia           canceled.  Although sponsored by the University of East Anglia’s Student Union, this show may very well have been booked at a different, presumably smaller, Norwich college simply known as City College.

Dec. 8           Birmingham, England                   Town Hall                                 canceled

Dec. 9           Manchester, England                   Free Trade Hall                         canceled

Dec. 10         Stoke on Trent, England               The Heavy Steam Machine       canceled


Dec. 10         In London, the band did their tenth BBC studio session, broadcast on Dec. 17.  Derek was obviously well enough to fulfill this one commitment, although it was the band’s only performance that month.  The studio used for this recording of Proclamation, Experience, Aspirations and Cogs In Cogs, is unknown.  This entire session appears on the OUT OF THE WOODS and TOTALLY OUT OF THE WOODS albums.


Dec. 11         Glasgow, Scotland                       Apollo Centre                            canceled

Dec. 12         Liverpool, England                       Royal Court Theatre                  canceled

Dec. 13         Newcastle, England                     City Hall                                   canceled




Newcastle ad and cancellation notice    Dec. 13, 1974



Dec. 14         Edinburgh, Scotland                     Usher Hall                                canceled

Dec. 16         Bristol, England                           Colston Hall                              canceled


Dec. 17         The band's tenth BBC session from Dec. 10 was broadcast on Sounds of the Seventies, hosted by John Peel.  Other sessions by other artists appearing on this program are not known.


Dec. 18         Redruth, England                         Regal Cinema                           canceled

Dec. 19         Plymouth, England                       Guildhall                                   canceled



Plymouth ad - canceled show    Dec. 19, 1974



Dec. 22         London, England                          Rainbow Theatre                       Even though the rest of the tour had been canceled, the group had still hoped to play in London as a one-off performance, first planning it for Dec. 20 and then for Dec. 22.  However, it too was finally canceled just a few days beforehand.  The report circulated at the time was that Derek’s throat condition had actually worsened and was compounded by a sugar deficiency.  This had originally been advertised as the group’s London premiere of their POWER AND THE GLORY album.


Dec. ?           ACQUIRING THE TASTE, which had seen limited release in America in July 1971, long before the band ever set foot in that country, received a proper re-release by Mercury in late December, this time being given more widespread distribution.  Some evidence indicated this may have been pushed back all the way to April 1975 and, although that is possible, it seems less likely.



Article on ACQUIRING THE TASTE US re-release    Dec. 1974






            As 1975 rolled around, Giant once again toured heavily, beginning in North America and then, by summer, returning to Europe.  As was the case with the late 1974 U.S. tour, the dates on this swing through North America in early 1975 were changed and rearranged frequently as the days and weeks went by, making an exact accounting of what transpired quite difficult.  This year, they did manage to gain quite a bit of public exposure through an increased number of live radio and television appearances.  Their itinerary also included a few more successful eastern Canadian dates.  By this time, promoter Donald Tarlton was booking the band in that country.  He claimed that Montreal, in particular, was a North American springboard for Giant and other progressive bands, and he openly took pride in his role in that.  According to Billboard magazine, the Canadian dates were originally planned for December 1974, but none of those occurred.



TYPICAL SETLIST  (Early - Mid 1975)


Intro/Cogs in Cogs

Proclamation/Funny Ways

The Runaway/Experience

Excerpts from Octopus - Yankee Doodle was returned to its place during the recorder quartet.

So Sincere - The 5-man drum bash was now performed as part of this song.  During the glockenspiel section of this, the stage lights would turn off, revealing strobe lights and twinkling white lights.

Plain Truth

Mister Class and Quality?/Peel the Paint/Valedictory - Gary's guitar solo was again a part of Peel the Paint.  Once more, as an outro, the band faded out the "breaking glass" tape loop.


            This was the time when Nothing at All, a staple of their shows since 1970, was finally retired.  John said in 1977 that the band attempted to perform Playing the Game briefly in 1975, but it isn't known exactly when during the year this happened.  The song was considered unsuccessful and was quickly dropped, but it resurfaced starting in early 1977.



Jan. 3            The ABC Wide World In Concert TV program, filmed on October 10, 1974, was broadcast.  Excerpts from Octopus was shown, though more was performed and filmed.  Also appearing on the program were the Climax Blues Band, the Isley Brothers and the Souther-Hillman-Furay Band.  The show was also simulcast in various other cities on FM radio stations affiliated with the ABC network.  The audio broadcast was released on the Glass House CD IN A PALASPORT HOUSE in 2001.  It’s also possible some of this material was later broadcast on the BBC In Concert radio program, but when that was is not known.




Newspaper notices of ABC Wide World In Concert TV broadcast    Jan. 3, 1975



???                Lawrenceville, New Jersey           Rider College - Alumni Gymnasium       This show is not at all confirmed but after the late 1974 US tour ended, a New Jersey student newspaper did mention that GG was planning on playing here “soon” with a local band called Garrett is support.

Jan. 8            Philadelphia, Pennsylvania                                                           another unconfirmed concert

Jan. 14          Montreal, Quebec                        Montreal Forum                        A band named Maneige opened the show.  It is illustrative of how well respected Gentle Giant had become in Canada that they were able to play in a venue as large as this one.  However, although total capacity of the Forum was 20,000, it’s estimated that no more than 10,000 attended this concert, with one press report listing attendance as 7,000.  As was the case with all the Canadian stops on this tour, reviews for this show were extremely positive, with the exception of the Montreal Gazette which gave GG a terrible review.  Their write-up included the curious statement that Giant “sound like everyone and have no distinctive sound of their own”.  The Feb. 8 issue of Billboard reported that, while in Montreal, the band recorded a live-in-the-studio special for the city’s CHOM radio.  It’s unclear whether this entailed a musical performance, an interview, or both.  The whereabouts of this recording today, if it still exists at all, are also sadly unknown.



Montreal - article about live-in-the-studio recording    Jan. 15, 1975



Jan. 15          Ottawa, Ontario                           Lansdown Park - Civic Centre Arena                                               Bluesman John Lee Hooker opened this concert.  The venue, a hockey arena, seated 5,000 - 7,000 people, but about 4,000 were actually in attendance.  During the show, Derek jokingly introduced himself as Robert Plant, while shaking his microphone stand hard.  He used this gimmick of incorrectly identifying himself many times through the years, usually giving the audience a nice laugh.  An Ottawa Citizen newspaper review singled out Funny Ways as a particular highlight, but incorrectly identified it as Strange Ways.  Not to be outdone, a reviewer in the Carleton University student newspaper The Charlatan gushed that Giant’s performance was one of the most incredible concert performances he’d ever witnessed.  Sadly, this same reviewer gave terrible marks to John Lee Hooker.




Ottawa ads    Jan. 15, 1975



Jan. 16          Sherbrooke, Quebec                    Centre Culturel                         The opening band was a Quebec area prog/jazz fusion band named Sloche.

Jan. 18          New York, New York                    Academy of Music                    two shows, preceded by American Tears and followed by Alvin Lee and Company.  On the marquee outside the Academy, GG’s name was misspelled as “Genlte Giant”.  It’s known that at least one of this evening’s shows was sold out, possibly both.  Also, at one of these shows, Giant was late taking the stage, a situation which upset Alvin Lee.  It could very well have been the late show, as this is reported to have not started until midnight.  In written correspondence with Giant’s agent on Jan. 20, Lee’s tour manager made a point of urging Giant to start on time when the two bands again appeared together at the Jan. 22 Buffalo show.  Both Academy shows were recorded by King Biscuit Radio who, on Sept. 28, broadcast, in quadrophonic sound, about twenty minutes worth of music from this evening, including the song Cogs In Cogs.  It had been conjectured that the broadcast was taken from the second show, but that is no longer at all certain.  Most of the songs played on this evening were also released on the KING BISCUIT PRESENTS GENTLE GIANT album in 1998, but without Cogs In Cogs.  Again, which performance each song came from is not clear, although it had been believed that most came from the first show.  More recently, a longer set of King Biscuit material, this time approximating a nearly complete set, has surfaced, made up of all the music on the 1998 album plus the missing Cogs In Cogs.  As if this were not all confusing enough, this newly surfaced version of Cogs In Cogs is not the same as the one on the original radio broadcast.  Ray remembers the audience was a bit less receptive during the first show.  He laughingly recalls that during his violin solo at that first show, someone in the crowd yelled out "you suck!"  He says he later cut out that segment from King Biscuit’s tape and placed it in a locket he still owns today.  It’s presumed this solo took place, as usual, during the song Plain Truth, but no Jan. 18 recording of that tune has yet surfaced.  Amazingly, the exact same thing happened at the Nov. 5, 1977 gig at the same venue, during which it’s been confirmed someone again yelled out “you suck!” 




New York’s Academy of Music - ad and misspelled marquee    Jan. 18, 1975



Jan. 19          Trois Rivieres, Quebec                University of Quebec - Sports Center                A fan in attendance specifically remembers this concert as starting at five minutes before midnight.  Apparently, the band was late due to a delay at the U.S. - Canadian border after playing in New York City the night before.

Jan. 21          Quebec City, Quebec                   Centre Municipal des Congress             Sloche was again the opening band.  Before the show, some trouble occurred among the overly eager crowd waiting to enter the venue.  Some fans tried to force their way in and, in the process, some metal fences fell on the crowd.  As people surged forward, a few fell to the ground and were in danger of trampling.  Fortunately, there were no reports of serious injuries.  At one point, a second Quebec City show was added for the following night, but the band ended up playing in Buffalo instead on Jan. 22.



Quebec City ad    Jan. 21, 1975



Jan. 22          Buffalo, New York                        Kleinhan's Music Hall                opened for Alvin Lee and Company.  Conflicting assessments of this concert exist.  One audience member recalls two whole rows of fans near the front screaming back and forth with Ray during his violin solo.  Another remembers the Giant fans standing and cheering wildly after each song.  It’s been stated that very few GG fans were even in attendance this evening and the rest of the audience, there to see Alvin Lee, reportedly gave Giant a poor reception.  This would be unusual in Buffalo where the promoters, the team of Harvey and Corkey, always did a good job of publicizing GG's appearances.  This particular gig, however, was promoted by a different promoter.  The local newspaper's review the next day was favorable of Giant and made note of the fact that many of the very vocal Giant fans left shortly into Alvin Lee's set.  In contrast, though, a local college newspaper claimed Giant won over the crowd and it was Lee who had to endure a cold reception from the crowd.  As stated in the New York City listing from four days earlier, Alvin Lee’s tour manager was concerned that Giant start their set on time in Buffalo, but it’s not known if they complied.



Buffalo - contract attachment from Alvin Lee’s tour manager expressing concern over GG’s punctuality    Jan. 22, 1975



Jan. 23          Rochester, New York                   Auditorium Theater                   Before a near sellout crowd, GG was preceded by American Tears and followed by Alvin Lee and Company.  One fan at the gig described the audience as very “rowdy” and claimed GG simply played a boogie number “for an hour”.  It’s extremely unlikely that Giant would play any one number for an hour, but the Democrat and Chronicle did state, in its review the next day, that Giant “can boogie with the best of the rockers, and they did it last night.”  The band went over well but time constraints prevented an encore.



Rochester ad    Jan. 23, 1975



Jan. 24          Toronto, Ontario                          University of Toronto - Convocation Hall                                          This was a sold out general admission show on a very cold night in a small, intimate hall.  The Myles and Lenny Band opened the show.  A tape of Giant's performance exists which shows that Derek had problems with his microphone and monitor at the beginning.  This is easily explained by the fact that their own sound system did not arrive as it was stranded in another province, necessitating the last minute rental of a replacement system.  Accordingly, the gig was quite late starting.  The tape of this show also includes one of Ray's most energetic violin solos known on any recording.  Ironically, Ray was not even using his own violin this evening, as it was stolen before the show.  He borrowed a violin from Lenny Solomon, a member of the opening band.  In addition to the tape of the full concert, a small bit of the soundcheck was also recorded by someone else in the crowd.  On this tape, the band can be heard running through a little of So Sincere plus an instrumental version of No God’s a Man, a song never known to be played live in concert.  University officials were quite concerned about reports of excessive drinking and smoking at both this gig and a Lynyrd Skynyrd gig a week later and considered banning all concerts in Convocation Hall.  They only relented after the Student Activities Council agreed to only book lighter fare performances and stay away from “hard rock” shows.




Toronto    Jan. 24, 1975



Jan. 25          Waterloo, Ontario                         Wilfrid Laurier University                       This show had a disappointing turnout.  The Myles and Lenny Band opened, as they had the night before.  Previously, this college was known as Waterloo Lutheran University, where Giant had played on Mar. 31, 1973.  At one point during this 1975 show, Ray was seen correcting a minor lighting flub from the stage.  When finished with a violin part, he noticed the spotlight was erroneously still on him so, while switching to his bass, he pursed his lips and blew puffs of air at the light operator, as if appearing to blow out a candle.  The misplaced spotlight went out.




Waterloo - Gary onstage, Derek offstage and ticket    Jan. 25, 1975



Jan. 26          Springfield, Massachusetts          Civic Center                             opened for J. Geils in this general admission gig before a crowd of 7,500.  According to a fan, the crowd was quite rude to Giant, who were somewhat shaken by the experience and seemed to rush through their set.  After this, the house lights came on for quite a while, since Giant finished early and J. Geils was actually late arriving at the venue, due to what the promoter called “transportation difficulties”.  Gary recalls that GG and J. Geils actually got along quite well, despite their differences in musical direction.

Jan. 27          Cleveland, Ohio                           Agora Ballroom                         recorded by Cleveland's WMMS Radio for broadcast two days later.  At the very tail end of Excerpts from Octopus, the band got off and the music nearly fell apart.  Fortunately, they recovered and ended together.  Most, but not all, of this broadcast was released by Glass House in 2004 with the title PLAYING THE CLEVELAND.  The support act at this standing room only concert was advertised as being a local area progressive band called I Don’t Care, but they did not appear.  Instead, another local group, a fusion band called Course of the Electric Messenger, opened the show and was well received.

Jan. 28          Columbus, Ohio                           Agora Ballroom                         The local band I Don’t Care was again scheduled to open and this time, they did indeed play, unlike the previous night in Cleveland.  The keyboardist with that band recalls the members of GG being very personable with them.  Originally, advertisements had GG set to play this venue on Feb. 2, but that was changed.



Columbus ad    Jan. 28, 1975



Jan. 29          Utica, New York                           Memorial Auditorium                 opened for J. Geils in front of 3,500 fans.  A tape of this show exists.  For some reason, So Sincere was omitted on this particular night, possibly because they didn't think it would go over too well with a rambunctious J. Geils crowd.  Fireworks were unfortunately set off during Giant's opening song.


Jan. 29          The Cleveland show from Jan. 27 was broadcast on WMMS Radio in edited form as part of that station's regular Monday Night at the Agora series. 


Jan. 31          Norman, Oklahoma                      University of Oklahoma - Field House                                              Three acts were on the bill, with Giant taking the stage first, Michael Martin Murphey playing second, and Alvin Lee and Company headlining.  The Field House, holding perhaps a couple thousand people, was a small building underneath the larger football stadium and, in fact, Giant used the team’s locker room as their own dressing room the night of the concert.  Murphey was a cowboy singer and GG was reportedly somewhat amused at the odd pairing of acts at this show.  GG were received enthusiastically, however, especially after their recorder quartet during Excerpts From Octopus.

Feb. 1            Tulsa, Oklahoma                         Municipal Auditorium                 opened for Alvin Lee and Company.  Rolling Stone published, in one of their issues, an itinerary of Giant which erroneously placed them in Lakeland, Florida on this evening.  However, this Tulsa date has been confirmed by the Texas based promotor, Stone City Attractions, who promoted three Lee/GG concerts in this time period.  Throughout the 1970’s, Rolling Stone was notorious for its inaccurate information when reporting GG concert dates.

Feb. 2            St. Louis, Missouri            Kiel Auditorium                         Along with a country rock group called Mason Proffit, GG opened for Alvin Lee and Company.  A published Alvin Lee ad gave a date of Feb. 1 at the Auditorium Theatre, but that was incorrect.



St. Louis ad    Feb. 2, 1975



Feb. 2           In England, BBC 3 Radio broadcast a conversation with Derek and Ray Shulman as part of its Sounds Interesting program.


Feb. 3            Denver, Colorado                         Ebbets Field                             The planned Columbus Agora show referenced above was originally advertised in Rolling Stone as being scheduled for Feb. 3, but that gig was changed, then ultimately canceled.  Instead, they band played at this small club on the ground floor of a downtown Denver building, with an official seating capacity of only 238 people.  It had a small number of tables near the stage and, behind those, a combination of folding chairs and several tiers of wooden benches.  The walls, floor and benches were all covered in orange, black and brown shag carpet.  Giant did not have an opening act at this general admission show.  A reviewer for a local college newspaper praised the group’s creativity and musical ability at this performance, but ranted at length that the volume was way too loud and made the show uncomfortable.  According to Gary's wife Judy, she first met him in the early morning hours of Feb. 4, after this gig.  A well-known Denver audio company, Listen Up, professionally recorded many of the Ebbets Field shows from its booth in the back, right up until the club’s closure in 1976.  Sadly, best evidence so far indicates this Giant show was not one of them.






Denver - two night engagement    Feb. 1975



Feb. 4            Denver, Colorado                         Ebbets Field                             Gary and John have both verified that the band played two nights in a row in Denver on this tour.  Again, it was general admission and there was no opening act.  Like the show listed above, this one was most likely not professionally recorded.

Feb. 6            San Diego, California                   Golden Hall                               The Daily Aztec, which was the college newspaper of San Diego State University, claimed that GG stole the show from headliner Alvin Lee and Company.  First on the bill before Giant was American Tears.

Feb. 7            Long Beach, California                 Long Beach Arena                    GG was not at this gig.  Although it was, at one point, advertised that they would play after American Tears and before Alvin Lee and Company, it was actually Flo and Eddie who occupied the middle spot on the bill.

Feb. 8            Fresno, California                        Warnors Theater                       opened for Alvin Lee and Company.  This was the first event of the 1975 Warnors season, after the theater had undergone extensive renovations, including the addition of a new $50,000 sound system.  It’s been reported by more than one attendee that quite a number of the Alvin Lee fans were skeptical of GG at first, but came around as the evening wore on.  In fact, many in the crowd held up lighters while cheering wildly after Giant’s set, an indication of their desire to have the band return to the stage.  The band obliged and came back for an encore, after which there was quite a long pause before the house lights finally came on.  This seems to indicate the members of GG even considered a rare opening act second encore, but ultimately decided against it.  Cries for Giant to come out again could even be heard partway into Alvin Lee’s set.  There is still confusion as to the exact date of this concert, with some indications pointing to Feb. 9.  Interestingly, Alvin Lee is known to have played additional West Coast dates immediately after this one and, since there is a hole in Giant’s known schedule for the next few days, it’s certainly possible that they could have joined Lee on at least some of them.

Feb. ?            Los Angeles, California                                                                During the ABC In Concert performance in October 1974, Derek told the crowd that the band would be returning to Los Angeles in February.  However, Derek may simply have been referring to the Feb. 7 Long Beach show or either of the Feb. 13 appearances listed below.  All of these were located quite near to Los Angeles.

???                Berkeley, California                      Community Theater                  There is a report from one fan that, at some point, GG played at this Berkeley venue with the band Camel in support.  The only times the two bands were in America at the same time were late 1974 and early 1975.  Giant’s late 1974 tour tended to concentrate on the east coast, making early 1975 a better bet.  There is, as of yet, no confirmation although, supposedly, a large percentage of the crowd was there to see Camel, and therefore left before Giant took the stage.


Feb. 13          In West Hollywood, California's Capitol Studios, Gentle Giant made a live studio recording, with no audience, meant for broadcast two days later over KMET Radio in Los Angeles.  It included much of the material they were performing on stage during their early 1975 tour.  The group even recorded a brief musical jingle based on the radio station’s call letters, which, during the broadcast, served as KMET’s station identification.  Interestingly, this jingle has been officially released on SCRAPING THE BARREL under the title With Gentle Giant on KMET.  The date of this live session is often listed as Jan. 1, but this date of Feb. 13 seems definitive.  At the time, they were in the area for the nearby Santa Monica gig listed below, held that same evening.  In fact, this Capitol Studios recording is often mistakenly listed as having been recorded in Santa Monica, as well.  It has been rumored that Giant made this studio recording, believed to be mixed by Derek, because earlier plans to release an official live album were changed.  In an interview around this time, Derek indicated this was because they felt they needed more time to establish themselves in America through studio albums before bringing out a live record.


Feb. 13          Santa Monica, California              Civic Auditorium                       A country band called named Captain started the show and had a difficult time being accepted.  At one point, their lead singer asked for tolerance from the crowd, claiming the band were “friends of the Giant”, but they still ended up playing an abbreviated set.  Giant’s set, on the other hand, was rapturously received.  Ray was given a rare mid-concert standing ovation after his Plain Truth violin solo, while the band received another after their main set.  Even when the encore was finished, the crowd kept yelling for a full ten minutes before the tour manager had to come out and announce the band had no other material prepared.  Gary had described this show as one of GG's best west coast gigs ever, even though he mistakenly recalled it as being from 1974.




Santa Monica - ad and humorous college newspaper article    Feb. 13, 1975



Feb. 14          San Francisco, California             Winterland                                Once again, an early ad in Rolling Stone was inaccurate, listing the band as playing Albuquerque, New Mexico on this date, while the two San Francisco dates were listed in the same issue as planned for Feb. 7 and 8.  However, by the following issue, the correct San Francisco dates were printed.  American Tears opened the show, followed by Giant, then headliners Alvin Lee and Company before a sparse crowd of only a little over 1,000 out of a capacity of 5,400.  The Oakland Tribune also advertised the band Raw Soul as being on the bill, but this is not corroborated elsewhere.  A review in the Stanford Daily stated that the crowd was not always accepting of Alvin Lee’s post-Ten Years After music, but they were “downright mean” to Giant.  It apparently frustrated Derek so much that he was reduced to shouting obscenities at the crowd.  A rumor existed once that some of this performance, or that of the following night, may have been broadcast over San Francisco’s KSAN-FM radio station, but this has not been verified.




San Francisco - two nights at the Winterland    Feb. 1975



Feb. 15          San Francisco, California             Winterland                                One early report placed this concert at Warners Theater in Fresno, California but that is not correct.  It is certain that American Tears, followed by GG, again opened for Alvin Lee and Company at the Winterland, with the inclusion of the band Raw Soul again an unconfirmed possibility.  Attendance was again poor, with the 5,400 seat hall only about half full.  Reviewing these two appearances, The Daily Review was generally kind to Giant but branded Derek as “a poor imitation of Jethro Tull’s Ian Anderson.”


Feb. 15          The live studio recording made at West Hollywood's Capitol Studios on Feb. 13 was broadcast over KMET radio in Los Angeles, on that station’s weekly Saturday Night At the Concert Hour series, also known as SNATCH.  To prepare the audience, KMET preceded the live session with the airing of three studio tracks, namely Black Cat, Knots and In a Glass House.  The live portion was edited before being broadcast, the band having supposedly recorded at least a couple more songs that never made it to the airwaves.  The master tapes of this session were said to have been located several years ago and an official release of the entire session was being considered, though the idea was shelved at the time.  In the meantime, Glass House released almost the entire live portion of the broadcast, albeit in rather sub-par sound quality, on their incorrectly labeled LIVE IN SANTA MONICA 1975 CD in 2005.


Feb. 17          Chicago, Illinois                           Auditorium Theater                   A tape of this gig exists at which Giant opened for Peter Frampton.  Apparently, it was a rather small crowd, but there was a large percentage of receptive GG fans sitting in the balcony.  This GG rooting section was so enamored by Giant's set that they loudly demanded an encore.  The promoter came onstage and tried to move things along, but to no avail.  Finally, Ray could be seen in a heated argument with three people on the left side of the stage, his bass strapped on.  After a few minutes, Ray pushed the others aside, walked onstage, plugged in his bass, then turned to the audience and smiled.  The crowd erupted in applause as the rest of the band joined him for the requested encore.  Then, after GG finally concluded their set, a large percentage of their fans cut the evening short and left the Auditorium.



Information continues to be very sketchy as to Gentle Giant's American live activities in early 1975.  Very few concert dates are known from this time period, although there are unconfirmed fan recollections of U.S. shows in Houston, Austin, and Washington, D.C. 



Feb. 28          San Antonio, Texas                      Texas Theatre                          yet another gig opening for Alvin Lee and Company, again promoted by Stone City Attractions.  This was the very first rock concert presented at this facility.  The Feb. 16 issue of the San Antonio Express listed the opener as Houston band Navasota, while the Feb. 23 issue listed Canadian band Rush in support.  It ended up being Giant.




San Antonio - early ads with incorrect opening acts    Feb. 28, 1975



Mar. 1           Arlington, Texas                          University of Texas - Texas Hall           another gig opening for Alvin Lee and Company just outside of Dallas, promoted by Stone City Attractions. 


Mar. 10         The BBC rebroadcast GG’s Dec. 10, 1974 session on Top Gear, hosted by John Peel.  Sessions by June Tabor were also featured.


It is known that, between spring and summer, the group spent most of their time writing, recording and mixing the music for their next album.  The band was supposedly planning to do a tour of Scandinavia with old friends Jethro Tull sometime in 1975, but this never materialized, even though posters advertising this double billing have been said to exist.  When exactly this was intended to take place is unclear.



Mar. 24          Torino, Italy                                 Palasport                                  This date is suspect.  Genesis is known to have played at this venue on this exact date so, unless the two bands shared the bill, which is unlikely, Giant probably was not there.  The only known time these two bands were scheduled to play on the same bill were two shows in Germany in June of 1977.  However, Giant canceled out of both of those dates.



It appears that the band had planned some US gigs for April of 1975, though it is unlikely any of them went ahead.  Only a couple of these planned dates have been identified, so far, as listed below.



Apr. 11          Philadelphia, Pennsylvania           Spectrum                                  This show was more than likely canceled, although an early ad listing GG as playing in Philadelphia opening for Slade has surfaced.  No additional confirmation has been found and online Slade sources also make no mention of this.



Philadelphia ad - unconfirmed show    Apr. 11, 1975


Apr. 19          Philadelphia, Pennsylvania           Spectrum                                  Interestingly, GG was also signed to play a different gig at the Spectrum on April 19, probably booked after the above listed show with Slade fell apart.  In this case, they were to follow Joe Vitale’s Madmen, both opening for Robin Trower.  The gig did take place, but Giant did not take part, being replaced by Brian Auger’s Oblivian Express.


Apr. ?           The band recorded their seventh album, FREE HAND, at London's Advision Studios.  The band also mixed a quadraphonic version of the album, as well, but that was not released at the time, not appearing until a 2012 Chrysalis reissue.


Apr. 25          Amsterdam, Holland                     Concertgebouw

May 13          Berlin, Germany                           Philharmonie                             One notice in the German press advertised this concert at Berlin’s prestigious classical music venue where, accordingly, it was announced as one of “rock chamber music”.  At least one other concert listing in the German press did not mention this gig at all, so it must still be considered unconfirmed.

May 17          Tilburg, Holland                           Pellikaanhal

June 21         Dusseldorf, Germany                   Philipshalle                               This was a festival event entitled the "2nd Pop Meeting".  A total of twenty different bands performed, including Grobschnitt, Nektar, Savoy Brown, UFO and the Baker Gurvitz Army.  The festival was a two day affair, beginning on June 20, with Giant appearing midday on June 21.  Although much of the crowd enjoyed Giant’s set, there were considerable numbers who were loud and vocal in their opposition.  On an existing tape of Giant's set, Derek is shown to be a bit flustered by this at times.  The group endured several other mishaps during their performance, as well.  Kerry had trouble with a falling microphone and a dropped vibraphone mallet, Ray had a bit of trouble with the cable on his violin, and an audience member even seems to recall John temporarily falling off his raised drum platform at one point.



Dusseldorf poster - “2nd Pop Meeting”    June 21, 1975



Some people recall dates Giant played in England in the period between late spring and early summer of 1975, a possibility also hinted at by a Canadian press report back at the end of January.  Supposedly, these included stops in Southend-on-Sea, Torquay and Portsmouth, but none of these has been established with certainty.  One fan from the Torquay area does indeed remember the band playing two concerts in that city at some point in the 1970’s, but he cannot recall the exact years.  One of these shows was at the Pavilion Theatre and the other was at the Torquay Town Hall.  A tape of one or the other of these shows has even been rumored to exist.



???               A live studio concert was filmed in Brussels, Belgium.  This concert is often mistakenly assumed to have been filmed in Czechoslovakia, but was actually filmed in Brussels for a German television program called Sonntagskonzert.  This was a show that normally featured classical performances, but ran a series of shows on rock bands that displayed classical influences.  The exact date of filming is unknown.  However, although the band recalls it as dating from 1974, the inclusion of So Sincere in the setlist leads one to believe it was actually from 1975.  In an on-stage comment, Derek mentions the IN A GLASS HOUSE album as being recorded ”a year and a half ago”, indicating mid 1975 as a more precise timeframe. 


July 20          A portion of the Golder's Green concert recorded by the BBC on Nov. 16. 1973 was broadcast on American radio as part of the Rock Around the World series.  The song Way of Life and part of Excerpts from Octopus were aired.  This weekly syndicated series broadcast live music, studio tracks and interviews with many rock musicians in the 1970's.  Giant’s was the only live music on this particular episode, but others whose records appeared on this week’s broadcast were Dave Edmunds, Pete Winfield and Man, a group John Weathers would join in later years. Oddly, during the broadcast, Gentle Giant was introduced as being from Wales.  Even more curiously, even though this broadcast only included a portion of the original BBC performance, it does include a section of The Advent of Panurge from Excerpts from Octopus that was edited out of the original 1973 broadcast for some reason.  This missing section does not appear on the official OUT OF THE FIRE CD release of the concert either, making a recording of this American broadcast the only place to find the missing musical section.


Go on to   Part Five


Return home to   Gentle Giant Tour History